Cassadaga Valley Central School

Special Meal Accommodations


The Cassadaga Valley Food Service Department is committed to providing all students with the nutritious meals and snacks they need to be healthy. We want to make sure every child has an equal opportunity to participate and benefit from our school meal programs. If your child has an allergy to a certain food, we will work with the nurse and you to make sure your child has an alternative selection.

USDA Regulations require substitutions or modifications in school meals for children whose disabilities restrict their diets. A child with a disability must be provided substitutions in foods when that need is supported by a signed statement from a licensed physician. The medical statement must include:

  • An identification of the medical or other special dietary condition which restricts the child’s diet

  • the food or foods to be omitted from the child’s diet

  • the food or choice of foods to be substituted

The CVCS Food Service Department may make food substitutions, at their discretion, for individual children who do not have a disability, but who have a special dietary need. Such determinations are made on a case-by-case basis. This provision covers children who have food intolerances or allergies, but do not have life-threatening reactions when exposed to the food(s) to which they have problems. When a modification is made, and it does not require the school to source the alternate food item, no medical statement is necessary.

Parents have the right to file a grievance if they believe a violation has occurred regarding their request for a reasonable modification.

The Cassadaga Valley Food Service Program provides a variety of foods for children to select from in order to accommodate food preferences.

If you have any questions regarding meal substitutions or modifications, please contact Heidi Ottaway, Food Services Director, at, or 716-962-8581 ext. 1507.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027)(link is external) found online at: How to File a Complaint(link is external), and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1.  mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or

  3. email: sends e-mail).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


HEIDI OTTAWAY, Food Service Director
716-962-8581, ext. 1507

Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns or comments regarding the school food service program.